Monday, August 27, 2007

Bakery Market Research

So I made a few batches of scones saturday night and took them to move-in at Redstone. Left them out for people to eat, with the request that they fill out a little 3-question survey I had left. Most did so, though a few did not. Mainly I was wondering about prices, what people would pay.

La, results:

Chocolate Chip Scones:
$2
$2.50
3 people didn't respond
2 scones left over
(5/7 eaten, 71%)

Blueberry Scones:
$2
$4.50
$1.75
$2
6 were left
(4/10 eaten, 40%)

Cream Scones:
$1.95-2.50
$5
$2
2 people didn't respond
2 scones were left
(5/7 eaten, 71%)

Now it's impossible to judge what effect word of mouth had because there were so many small, disparate groups of people moving in who wouldn't necessarily turn to the complete stranger moving in next door and say "the cream scone was really good you should try that". So eating percentages may be irrelevant.

On the other hand if you look just at the straight numbers it's about even across. *shrug*. I didn't much care for this blueberry recipe, despite it using both fresh blueberries AND buttermilk. I liked the streusel one I used a few weeks ago for Blueberganza much better.

So discounting the likely-over-exuberant enthusiasm of the two loons who said 4.50 and 5, looks like about 2$. So the next question is...how much would it cost me to make? I'll need to work that out...

And yes, I know it's a small sampling and therefore likely statistically insignificant. Shaddup ;-)

Oh and generally, people were very supportive of the idea of me opening a bakery. Of course the ones who were being informed were my friends anyway so...eh. Useful as moral support but I am not so foolish as to take that as realistic evidence of my chances.

No comments: