Sunday, September 2, 2007

bakery competition

So I was semi-accidentally dropped off by the bus on Thursday at the site of the Winooski Farmer's Market, alleged to be the future take-off point of my bakery. It was surprisingly smaller than I had expected, only comprising five or six booths.

Unfortunately one of them happened to be a bakery. So...rats to that. They were selling flavored breads, buttermilk donuts (50c apiece), apple danishes, blueberry-cream cheese danishes, and two kinds of scones (apple cinnamon and blueberry). Also some pie type things. The danishes and scones were both for 2$ apiece which was nice to see as that's kind of where I was leaning towards charging after my "research".

I bought a blueberry-cheese danish and I have to say, I was very pleased. Not because the danish was good, but because I felt I could totally out-bake them. It was very heavy and dense, not at all like the airy flakiness I typically associate with danishes. Though, as mum pointed out, there can be a wide variety within the danish field, so maybe that was deliberate and not the sign of an incompetent baker ;-). Still I felt good about competition. Besides they only had two kinds of scones and I would have way more. Blueberry, it's ok that we overlap b/c blueberry's pretty much a staple I think...if you can't make a blueberry scone then you probably don't deserve to open a bakery anyway! The apple cinnamon I'll leave to them.

So we have nitiated phase two, "scope out the competition" :-)

No comments: